Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Returning After a Break from my University of Phoenix Experience

Today was the first day of class after the University of Phoenix winter break.  As with most schools, this encompassed the weeks of Christmas and New Years.  Just before the break, I stopped by my local campus, hoping to take at least some classes on campus.  The good news, according, to my student adviser, is that students actually can switch between a traditional and online class between each one.  He also told me that while the local campus does not offer my concentration classes (journalism), they do offer classes in my broad degree (communication).  Unfortunately, I was told that this was actually not the case when visiting the Atlanta campus.  Needless to say, this information should always be verified with personnel at the actual campus.

On the brighter side, my current University of Phoenix class (Comm 200) is offering access to a wealth of knowledge relating to the coursework.  This does add a strain to an already busy schedule.  Fortunately, access to course materials are not limited to their given week.  In fact, I am still able to access all of the materials for each class I've completed so far (not entirely sure how long this will last).

Just before the break, I also completed my English proficiency exam.  This is an aspect of the University of Phoenix experience that students should only have to complete if they are transferring from another school after several years.  Like a similar math exam, it will determine whether I need to take an additional English course.  It consisted of a multiple choice test and an essay.  An intuitive tutorial in the Center for Writing Excellence helped me prepare.  I scored well on the multiple choice portion and actually achieved "distinguished" (the highest rating) for each category of the essay.  I'm not sure if it is cause for celebration of my writing skills or a red flag of concern for lax grading requirements, but it did prevent me from taking another English course.  So either way, I'm happy.


No comments:

Post a Comment